Official Description: Q is based on the excellent open source CPU emulator QEMU from Fabrice Bellard. Pierre d’Herbemont from stegefin.free.fr ported QEMU to OS X and initiated a cocoa Version.
That was the initialization for Mike to develop Q. A completely rewritten cocoa port of QEMU, built directly on OS X, making use of Apples Core-technologies like Coreimage, Coreaudio and OpenGL for in- and output, saving the overhead of crossplattform APIs like SDL, FMOD or GTK.
Official Site – QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
Official Site – Q: http://www.kju-app.org/kju
Cost: Free/Open Source
Official Forums: http://qemu.dad-answers.com/viewforum.php?f=6
Frequently Asked Questions: Q FAQ
* G4/G5 Processor or Intel Core Solo Processor
* 256 MB RAM
* OS X 10.3.x/10.4.x
* Hardware that is simulated
Windows Vista Support:
How-to – Vista Public Beta 2
Universal Binary Status (From the FAQ):
We have a first stable Universal Binaries now. It’s still ’emulation’ only – this means it works (2-3.5x faster :)) – but until the virtualizer kext is reality, you still have to wait for near host-speed guest-speeds.
Be aware: this is still alpha software, here are the major known bugs:
* only i386 emulation works (no ppc/x86_64/arm/sparc)
* MSI installer 2.x does not work Workaround: Install current MSI Installer)
* MSI installer 3.x does not work 0.8.0d1103
* qcow is not working for some OS (mostly Windows) 0.8.0d1103
Note: iEmulator is based off of QEMU/Q.